Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Value added evalutions

The more that I read about "value added" evaluations, as promoted through Race to the Top, the more concerned I become about the welfare of the quality of education in America.

I am concerned that Race To The Top is more about money and political clout than quality education for our children.  There are too many questions for us to implement these "innovations" across the board.  There are too many instances where abuse and mishandling of funds could exist.  There are too many instances of political partnerships with philanthropic organizations and the possible existence of graft and control for profit.  There are just too many questions.

Do we need some reforms?  Yes, but we need to be cautious.  Lack of funding is straining our schools to support our students.  As I said in my last post, one proven method of improving student learning is student teacher ratios.  The lower the ratio, the more success and learning for the student.  It is pretty easy, and no "for profit" organizations would be involved.

Please read the articles at these links and see what you think.

http://blogs.edweek.org/teachers/living-in-dialogue/2012/07/the_gates_foundations_leverage.html

http://blogs.edweek.org/teachers/living-in-dialogue/2012/07/the_gates_foundations_educatio.html


On a more positive note, I have recently read an article about schools extending their day.  This makes sense, and I will follow their progress.

http://www.ednewscolorado.org/2012/07/16/40526-dps-launches-extended-learning-pilot

I am familiar with PEBC (Public Education and Business Coalition).  I have attended professional development with PEBC  consultants.  I have found PEBC to have sound practices which engender rigor in learning for students.

No comments:

Post a Comment