Saturday, September 1, 2012

Who's driving this train?

You know, I've been thinking about leadership for some time. 

I look at leaders in my field and consider what they are promoting.  If a leader makes a statement, pro or con about a belief, then doesn't that represent them?

I do not understand.

Through the use of logic, training, education and practical experience I posses, I have come to realize that effective leadership is "hard to come by."  Some of the most ineffectual leaders are in the educational field (speaking from my own experience). 

There is a trend in education to use teachers in leadership roles.  Well, that's really great, if they are truly given the autonomy to do that with guidance.  Is leadership always doing what you are told? or is leadership compliance?  Does leadership operate from a basis of inducing fear?

I don't know. . . what I do know is . . .

True and effective leaders always have their eyes on the horizon and facilitates the establishment of goals that are worthy and achievable.  The true leader maintains those high expectations, and is also aware of and facilitates the workers by not only giving them tools to do their job, but including support to the workers.  The true leader grants autonomy to the workers in reaching the horizon, rather than stifling creative and productive problem solving. A true leader is really a servant to those that they lead.


No comments:

Post a Comment