Sunday, October 14, 2012

Solutions?

Okay, so everyone knows that I am a teacher. 

It is a thank-less job. 

I am tired.  I am exhausted, I am stressed, I am physically sick . . .it is only the first nine weeks of school.  I have already gone through 2 doctor's visits and 2 prescriptions for antibiotics.  I have a dehumidifier in my classroom and it is full every day. . .the work environment is adding to my sinus infections, the stress is adding to my sickness. . .

I am a teacher, not a miracle worker.  Everything that is wrong today can not just be fixed by teachers, even though society tells us all the kids problems are the teachers' fault.

Here's a link to an article that elucidates these ideas better than I can. . .

Exhaustion of the American Teacher

As a teacher, if I point out a problem and suggest a viable way to fix the problem, then I am told I am not being professional.  If I object to the way things are being run in our school, then I am told I don't want to reward kids, help kids, etc. 

What I do as a teacher is always based on my students.  I want them all to succeed and when they do I want to reward that success.  What I don't want to do is to teach them that just showing up, socializing with their friends, not doing their work, bullying each other, disrespecting adults and breathing are what they get a reward for doing.

What happened to being proud of doing hard work and taking pride in that work?

No comments:

Post a Comment