Sunday, April 22, 2012

Why reading?

As a veteran teacher (and a novice blogger), I want to attempt to make suggestions for reluctant readers, weak readers, people who just don't like to read.  Reading is essential to success in school.  It is the one most powerful thing that will lead to success in any class you are taking whether you are an adult or a student in elementary, middle or high school.

There is an epidemic occurring in our schools.  This epidemic concerns the lack of a broad spectrum of reading skills.  I have on numerous occasions (over the years), conducted some very loose surveys.  I have to preface my questioning with "you are not going to get in trouble; I want you to tell what you actually think."  My first question on this informal survey is "How many of you have books at home?"  Usually, only 2-3 (out of about 28 students) raise their hands to indicate a positive response.  My next question usually is "How many of you read for pleasure?"  After the laughter dies down, I say, "no guys and girls, I am serious, I want to know."  Then 1 or 2 students reluctantly raise their hands.

I have witnessed the whole spectrum, from excellent readers to struggling readers.  Reading is not just being able to recognize and "call" words but also understanding and comprehending what you are reading.  That is what makes it so hard and that is why every reading class should have class room discussions as well as silent/oral reading time.

If you are a parent, you should model reading for your children.  Read printed material.  I say printed material, not digital, because young children and even students in high school are too easily distracted when reading on a laptop or other electronic device.  Make sure your home is "book friendly."  Young children really love to "re-visit" their favorite books over and over again.  This is a good thing as we all know that "practice makes perfect."  Reading is a skill and should be practiced.

Read to and with you children.  Teaching reading is difficult at best.  So start young, even before the child is born.  After they are born you should read to children as much as possible, but not to the point that they lose interest.  A young child does not have the attention span to last for much longer than an excellent picture book.  Even middle school children have a difficult time with reading over a period of one hour.  If the student is entrenched into the "I hate reading" mode, you will have to go slower and search out high interest books.


No comments:

Post a Comment